Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bugey Cerdon

I've spent the second leg of my two week vacation in Durham, NC and while I wish I could tell you of all the fabulous shopping finds and glamorous events I've attended, I am reluctant to admit that I have spent much of my time hidden away in the fine comforts of my family home. However, yesterday I got that familiar shopping itch, you know the one...that oh so pesky shopping itch that can only be scratched by doing some serious luxury shopping. That said, the only real luxury shopping in this area is the Saks Fifth Avenue store in Raleigh about 35 minutes away without traffic...insert sigh here...

Never one to allow a small obstacle such as distance stand in the way, we gassed up the Mini, popped Coldplay in the changer, and hit the highway. Filled with eager anticipation of all the soon-to-be newly acquired items, we were severely disappointed to discover within 2 minutes of entering the much revered Saks that due to the economic downturn (blah, blah, blah) that this particular Saks has limited hours and would be closing at 7:00pm, giving us a 5 whole minutes to scour the entire store...insert second sigh here...

With the shopping itch left unsatisfied, we decided to indulge in my second most favorite past-time, going out for drinks! Yay! We headed to downtown Durham to a fairly new (even better! yay!) hot spot known as Revolution.

Revolution turned out to be a very cool addition to the downtown scene with a very chic, contemporary feel and a whole lotta ambiance. The staff was incredibly friendly, with Lyle, the general manager, even coming over and introducing himself and giving us a tour of the space. I've posted the photos below.
Pleased with the ambiance and ready to unwind with a nice glass of wine, my beverage of choice was a Sauvignon Blanc. Taking in the atmosphere, I noticed several of the patrons sipping a very deep pink slightly bubbly beverage from champagne flutes . Thinking it some sort of rose, but somewhat unsure due to the depth of the hue, I inquired of one of the bartenders about the beverage and was informed that it was a Gamay, or sparkling red wine, known as Bugey-Cerdon**. I decided to try it and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a sweet, fruity, petillant wine, full of strawberry and raspberry flavors. In other words, fun, fun, fun in a bottle! Yay!
While I didn't leave Saks with packages galore, I went home with something just as good--a new sparkling wine to enjoy with friends! I can't wait to pick up a few bottles of Bugey-Cerdon and have my best girlfriends over and celebrate being young and fabulous! And what's better than that?

**Subsequent research revealed that Bugey-Cerdon is from the area of Bugey in Savoie and the village (Cerdon), where the wine makers to this day continue the practice of allowing the pink wines to ferment a second time in the bottle (methode ancestrale), giving the wine its bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment