Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Wine and Chocolate

Last week I was invited to a wine tasting.  We were asked to bring a dish, as all the wine was being provided free of charge.  At the last minute, I remembered a friend's chocolate bacon bark from a party last year and decided to make it for the party, as what pairs better with wine than chocolate? Ok, maybe cheese, but I didn't have time for all that.  The recipe called for 16oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup of unsalted peanuts, and 8 strips of fried and minced bacon (fry first, mince later).  I added the semi-sweet chocolate chips to a "double broiler" (in this case, I placed a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water and once the water began to boil, I added the chips to the bowl) and stirred until the chips melted and the consistency was soft and smooth.  I added the peanuts and the bacon and stirred them in until the peanuts were covered in chocolate.  I then lined a cookie sheet with wax paper and poured the chocolate, bacon and peanut mixture over the wax paper.  I used a plastic spatula to smooth the mixture evenly over the wax paper and then I refrigerated the ingredients for one hour.  After one hour (you can go longer), I removed the cookie sheet from the refrigerator and proceeded to break the bark into small pieces.  And voila! See below for the final outcome. 

Chocolate Peanut Bacon Bark
My next post will be about the actual party...

No comments:

Post a Comment