Monday, March 1, 2010

A "Scroll" Down Memory Lane...

Last week as I was doing some research for a few new things I have in the works for my business, I happened to have a chance to browse through the latest Traditional Home magazine. To say that I fell in love with the CharityWorks Green House featured in the magazine would be an understatement--a serious understatement. Having flipped through the pages several times, I took a moment to actually read the article that accompanied the photos and to my surprise, well...not really, who should be mentioned as the lead designer of the project, none other than designer extraordinaire, Barry Dixon!

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Dixon at his annual holiday party in 2009 and I must tell you this man is every bit as fabulous and kind as anything you've ever read about him or any of his work you've ever seen. And his house!!! The house...is simply put, AMAZING, beautifully restored without taking away from any of the homes original vintage charm. I can still remember the anxiety I felt the day of the party as I was getting ready to, to...eh...how should I put this...I guess from the anxiety pit in my stomach I could say..."hold court with the King"...which with all the care I took in getting dressed, I surely must have thought he might proclaim "off with her head" should one strand of hair be out of place. But to my relief, that was not the case and we arrived to find Mr. Dixon at the door, graciously greeting each guest, all 500 of us, with a smile, a hug, and a handshake. I could go on and on about the Christmas decorations, the tree in each of the 7 (or was it 9 bedrooms), the food spread...the cookie room, the cheese room, the wine room, the meat room, etc...I could go and on, but I guess the best compliment I can give is to say I don't think I have ever been more impressed. Mr. Dixon is truly a class act. The use of color and texture in his work is brilliant. The "appropriateness" of his design philosophy is genius. However, I've never been one to force my opinions on others, so don't take my word for it, take a scroll and decide for yourself. Happy March!







1 comment: