Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Look Back At David Hicks

Yesterday, I had the wonderful pleasure of listening to Ashley Hicks, son of the famed designer, David Hicks, give a presentation on his father’s work. Ashley was witty and funny and really did a great job of presenting who his father was to our small group.  I could say so much more about the presentation but the thing I was most impressed with as Ashley navigated through the various slides of his father’s work, was the timelessness of so many of the spaces.  Many of the interiors had been done 20, 30, and even 40 years ago and yet, they were still relevant.  The spaces looked like they could have been completed yesterday! 

In my own work, I seek to create classic, timeless spaces.  It is always my goal that my clients love their homes as much 10 years from the day we finished the project as they did the first time they saw the completed space.  I am often asked about the latest design trends and how I incorporate them in my work and while I do keep up with industry trends, I try not to lean on them too much when I design.  Incorporating too many trends can date your work.  Good design is never about what is on trend or trendy.  Good design is about creating spaces that outlast trends. 


Take a peek at a few of my favorite David Hicks’ interiors and let me know what you think in the comments.

David Hicks' Chelsea Living Room.  Photo via flickr.com user SarahKaron.

1970s bedroom by David Hicks.  Photo via bellini.com.

Bold, geometric carpets and prints were a mainstay in the design style of David Hicks.
Photo via blog.modernica.net.

Tablescapes were also a mainstay in David Hicks' interiors.
Photo via retrorenovation.com.

David Hicks circa 1995.  Photo via nytimes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment